The ‘gnoccis’ or gnocchi are a potato-based paste, but you can add countless ingredients to give it flavor and color. We choose peas this time. The garnish will be made with kale and ham slices. This Pea gnocchi with kale and ham will be an original and healthy proposal!
- For the gnocchi
400 g potatoes
300 g fresh or frozen peas
- For the garnish
200 g kale
150 g ham
1 cloves garlic
How to make gnocchi or gnocchi
When we talk about Italian cuisine, everyone thinks of fresh Italian pasta, risotto or pizza, but gnocchi is also a traditional dish in the transalpine country. Gnocchi is a type of pasta that is made mainly with potatoes and some basic ingredients that we will always have at home: a little flour, egg yolk and salt, and neither are special utensils necessary. They could not be simpler.
Starting from the basic recipe, they also admit a wide variety of ingredients such as ricotta cheese, spinach, squash, bananas, cassava, etc…
At the time of eating them, they are usually accompanied by the sauce that we like the most. The most frequent are tomato sauces, and those made with some type of cheese.
We propose Pea gnocchi with kale and ham. Let’s start!
When we go to buy the potatoes it is preferable that we choose them of a uniform size, because then they will be cooked in the same way, being all in the same point.
- At home, the first step will be to wash the potatoes well, to remove any dirt or dirt they may bring.
- Cook them without peeling in abundant boiling water, for 20-25 minutes, depending on the hardness of the potatoes and their size.
- They are cooked with your skin to prevent them from absorbing water during cooking.
- After the time, prick the potatoes with a fork or similar to check if they are already made.
- Remove from the casserole and let them rest for 10-15 minutes, to handle them without risk of burning.
- As soon as you can touch them, peel them and put them back to cool for another 10 minutes.
- It is important that the meat of the potato is warm, which will make it easier to handle the dough.
Dough preparation and kneading gnocchi
- If the peas are fresh, cook them in another pan with salt water for about 8 minutes. If they are frozen, as they are already cooked, just defrost them. Then pass both the potatoes and the peas through the pastry and put both in a bowl, mix and add some pepper.
- Turn them into a homogeneous mash, it is important that there are no lumps.
- Flour the table or countertop where you go to work with the ingredients. Also put some flour in your hands so that the potato dough does not get sticked.
- Add flour in small quantities.
- Continue mixing and kneading with your hands adding the flour. Depending on the moisture of the potatoes we may need more flour to achieve the final texture.
- You must obtain a homogeneous, soft and flexible mass, without lumps or hard parts, and we do not find difficulties to knead it. Nor will it stick to our fingers. Make a ball with the mass and let stand 10 minutes.
- Separate a little of dough and with the help of the hands, extend it by making a cylinder, which we will cut into portions (which will be the gnocchi) of 2 cm of size.
Shape of the gnocchi
- Leave the gnocchi smooth as is or give them their typical scratched mark.
- There is a special wooden utensil for this, although if we do not have it we can do something similar with the help of a fork.
- If you like rounds, it will be enough to muzzle each gnocchi and then give it the final shape.
- In a casserole with boiling water and salt (in the usual proportions for pasta: 10 g of salt per liter), pour gnocchi in small quantities, so they have enough space and do not stick together.
- At first they will go to the bottom of the pan. After a while, we will check that they rise and begin to float on the surface. That is the ideal cooking point.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and repeat with the rest of the gnocchi.
For the garnish
- Cook the kale in another saucepan with boiling salt water for about 8 minutes.
- Drain well and itch very finely. Peel and chop the onion and garlic and sauté them in a pan with a little oil.
- Add the chopped kale and the ham pieces and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Mix the gnocchi with the roasted kale with ham.
- Serve on the plates and accompany with a wedge of Parmesan cheese and a grater so each one will throw it to your liking.
Here you have some tips to make perfect Pea gnocchi with kale and ham:
- As soon as you finish making them you should boil them immediately. When the mass of the gnocchi rests, it becomes damp and needs more flour, so that when cooked they would be hard as a stone.
- It is important that you use it warm when you put it together with the flour. If the mash is cold, lumps may remain. If you dare with this option, the amount of flour it carries is 30% of the weight of the mash, that is, if you make 700 g. of mash you will need approximately 210 g. of wheat flour
You may also like this tasty and easy recipes: